Eye to the Telescope: Arthuriana
The online magazine «Eye to the Telescope» publishes science fiction, fantasy, horror and other speculative poetry. For this issue, they want to explore all things Arthurian; see guidelines for details about the potential and possibilities of this theme, and the editor’s preferences.
Deadline: 15 December 2017
Length: 1-5 poems
Pay: $0.03/word, up to $25
Eye to the Telescope 27, Arthuriana, will be edited by Adele Gardner.
This issue of the Eye to the Telescope explores all things Arthurian. From early epics to modern fantasy and science fiction, stories of the Round Table continue to fascinate. Enter into dialogue with Celtic legends, medieval romances, Victorian and Pre-Raphaelite revivals, folk songs, or echoes of Arthuriana in a wide variety of times and places. In addition to the traditional settings, the editor welcomes versions of Arthurian tales that intersect with the heroic, chivalric, or martial arts traditions of many cultures. See an old character through new eyes or invent a new character encountering the familiar figures of the Arthurian mythos in the past, present, or future. Time travelers and enchantresses are equally welcome, and less frequently seen viewpoints are encouraged. Please state in your cover letter the version and aspect of the Arthurian tradition you are responding to in your poem. This editor is partial to both formal and free verse; be aware that she may inquire about the possibility of revisions before deciding whether or not to accept. May the road rise up to meet you on your quest!
- Please send submissions to email@example.com with the subject line “ETTT sub:” followed by the poet’s name.
- Please submit 1–5 poems in English (in body of email or attached as .rtf).
- Include a short bio.
- Deadline: December 15, 2017. The issue will appear on January 15, 2017.
Payment and rights
- Accepted poems will be paid for at the following rate: US 3¢/word rounded to nearest dollar; minimum US $3, maximum $25. Payment is on publication.
- The Science Fiction & Fantasy Poetry Association normally uses PayPal to pay poets, but can also send checks.
- Eye to the Telescope is an online publication. Therefore, First Electronic Rights (for original unpublished poems) are being sought.
Who can submit?
Anyone writing speculative poetry.
What is Speculative Poetry?
Speculative poetry is poetry which falls within the genres of science fiction, fantasy, and supernatural horror, plus some related genres such as magic realism, metafiction, and fabulation. It is not easy to give precise definitions, partly because many of these genres are framed in term of fiction rather than poetry.
For further information visit: eyetothetelescope.com