Two totally different genres. Yet something amazing happens when they are able to combine in a way that keeps both the horror, and the humor. In Coffin Blossoms, we seek those rare stories that make us chuckle while giving us goosebumps. They are usually full of one-line zingers, and absurd situations. The ability to combine humor with horror in a respectable work of fiction is rare, but at Jolly Horror Press, we know these stories exist. That’s why WE exist, to give them their proper home. Bring us your funny horror, the ridiculous situations that are both scary and make you roll on the floor. You can write about whatever you want, there is no theme for this one. The only requirement is that it is horror, and hilarity.
Your story must include elements of both horror and comedy. We wanna chuckle when we read it, in between sh*tting our pants. Specific guidlines are below:
Coffin Blossoms Guidelines Here are a couple of tips to put your story in better position to be accepted.
1. Fit the theme. Horror/Comedy. Scare us and make us laugh. If we don’t laugh a few times, we’re not going to accept your story. If all we do is laugh, same thing.
2. Be within our word count guidelines (for Coffin Blossoms, 2000 to 6000) or query us for shorter/longer.
3. No matter how good your story is, if it hasn’t been edited, there is a big chance we won’t accept it. In the past, we’ve accepted stories that needed a lot of editing work, but it took so much effort to make them presentable. We aren’t doing that anymore. If within a page or two of reading the story we find a bunch of editing issues, it’s going to be rejected.
4. Be unique. No matter what the theme of the anthology is, you should always be unique. If it’s a stalker anthology for example, and your ex or some guy you work with is your stalker, it’s trite. If your grandma is stalking your fiancée, well, that’s unique (don’t do this, it’s my idea).
5. At Jolly Horror Press, we prefer subtle horror. We generally don’t like gruesome and overly bloody stuff. If someone is getting hacked to bits in your story, it’s probably not for us.
6. We seriously still get racist/sexist/anti-gay stuff. Don’t send us this stuff.
7. If there is any kind of animal killing or torture, not for us. We want old cat ladies to enjoy our work too.
8. Surprise us!
9. We love new and unpublished authors, provided you can follow 1-8.
10. No reprints this time.
Diversity and Inclusiveness: Yes, we want stories from all sectors, from all kinds of people! We encourage submissions from women, people of color, and the LGBTQ+ community. We seek to include writers from all walks of life who have a scary/funny story to tell.
The Details: Please see our generic submission guidelines page for how to submit.
Open submission period: April 1, 2020 to May 30, 2020.
Reading Period: June 1, 2020 to August 30, 2020.
Expected publication Date: October 2020.
Payment: $.005 per word.
Source link: jollyhorror.com